Vote Absentee

Absentee ballot with sticker

Who can request an absentee ballot in Wisconsin?

Any qualified elector who registers to vote is eligible to request an absentee ballot.

A qualified elector means:

*You will be 18 years old by election day,

*You are a U.S. citizen,

*Wisconsin law requires that you live at your current address for 28 consecutive days to be eligible to vote from your new address. If you have lived at your new address for less than 28 consecutive days before the election you are still eligible to vote from your former address. If you have moved to Wisconsin less than 28 consecutive days before an election you are eligible to cast a Presidential-only ballot.

*You are a convicted felon who is now "off paper"; i.e. your sentence is fully completed (including your probation or parole)

Under Wisconsin law, voters do not need a reason or excuse, such as being out of town on Election Day, to vote absentee. Any voter who prefers to vote by absentee ballot may request one. You have several options for requesting an absentee ballot and casting your vote.

We are recommending that voters request their absentee ballots for the rest of the year NOW.

Request Wisconsin Absentee Ballot
Accepted forms of identification for Voting in Wisconsin

Most Wisconsin voters now need to show an acceptable photo ID to vote. But for some absentee voters, and those with a sincere religious belief against being photographed, there are exceptions to the law that may mean you don’t need a photo ID.

The rules for absentee voters are pretty simple:

  • If you’re in the military, live permanently overseas or are classified as a confidential elector, you don’t need a photo ID to cast your absentee ballot.
  • There are also accommodations in the law for absentee voters who cannot make it to a polling place because they are indefinitely confined, or live in a nursing home or care facility. These voters do not need to show their photo ID, but other rules do apply.
Wisconsin Voter ID Accepted Forms of Voter ID
Polling Station

Early In-Person Voting

Also known as In-Person Absentee.

All Kenosha Municipalities offer the opportunity to vote in person early. You can also register to vote prior to voting early in-person. To see a list of dates, hours and locations for early in-person voting in Kenosha County, visit the Kenosha County Clerk's website.

Kenosha County Clerk
Military truck with soldiers

Military voters

Military voters have additional options for absentee ballot delivery.

Military personnel do not need to provide a photo ID with their request

Request Military Absentee Ballot
Travel map, passport, camera, keepsakes

Overseas Voters

There are two types of Overseas voters in Wisconsin:

Who is a “Temporary Overseas Voter”?

A U.S. citizen who is not disqualified from voting under Wis. Stat. s. 6.03, who qualifies as a resident of Wisconsin, and has attained or will attain the age of 18 by the date of an election at which the citizen proposes to vote. Temporary Overseas Voters are Wisconsin residents who are temporarily living outside the United States and who intend to return to Wisconsin.

Who is a “Permanent Overseas Voter”?

You are a permanent overseas voter if you are a U.S. citizen who last resided in Wisconsin, or your parent last resided in Wisconsin, before moving to a foreign country, and you have no intent to return to your prior municipality in Wisconsin. 

Overseas voters do not need to provide a photo ID with their request.

Overseas Voter Absentee Ballot
Hospital room

Voting Absentee While In the Hospital

Hospitalized Electors should follow these steps to request their absentee ballot. Hospitalized electors may appoint an agent to retrieve and deliver their absentee ballot if they are hospitalized in the 7 days before Election Day.

Hospitalized Absentee Ballot