"Everything we love and more is at stake with this election. I will uphold our constitutional freedoms, protect our democracy, and defend reproductive choice."
Why Janet Protasiewicz is RIGHT for Wisconsin:
Unlike Kelly, Judge Janet Protasiewicz will be a justice who will protect our votes, our freedoms and our rights.
- Protasiewicz is a community leader, a veteran prosecutor, and a lifelong advocate for victims of crime.
- Protasiewicz has spent nearly a decade as a Circuit Court Judge prior to 25 years as an Assistant District Attorney.
- She has developing a reputation for being fair and impartial and has successfully argued cases in front of the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
- Protasiewicz is endorsed by many elected officials, community leaders, and organizations throughout the state.
- Protasiewicz has stated she believes that it should be ‘a woman’s right to choose’ when and if she starts a family.
- She has indicated a willingness to look at the legality of Wisconsin's politically-drawn voting maps, which the Supreme Court sent back to the state to address.
- Protasiewicz has indicated the court should take a look at the constitutionality of Wisconsin's Act 10, passed under Scott Walker, which striped some public sector workers of the right to collective bargain, but retained that right for other public sector workers.
"The fabric of democracy is always fragile everywhere because it depends on the will of citizens to protect it." Margaret Atwood, poet and author
Why is Dan Kelly is Dangerous for Democracy in Wisconsin
In 2020, conservatives on the Wisconsin Supreme Court voted 3-4 to OVERTURN the Wisconsin presidential election in favor of Donald Trump, despite no evidence of fraud.
Democracy was saved in our state by one vote in 2020.
Testimony before the Bipartisan January 6th Committee shows conservative candidate for the Wisconsin Supreme Court, Dan Kelly, was involved in a plot by Republicans to overturn the Wisconsin election results in 2020.
The testimony obtained by the Committee investigating the January 6th attack on the U.S. Capitol shows Kelly took part in consulting on a scheme to overturn Wisconsin's presidential election in favor of Donald Trump, despite Trump having lost. Andrew Hitt, former chair of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, and one of Wisconsin's fraudulent electors, testified to Kelly's involvement before the Committee.
We cannot trust Dan Kelly to stand up for democracy in our state and certainly not as the deciding vote on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
"Dan Kelly is a fatally flawed and ethically compromised MAGA extremist who promises a future for Wisconsin in which patients are unable to access basic reproductive health care, doctors are at risk of prosecution and the very integrity of democracy is called into question."
You can read Wisconsin Democratic Party Chair Ben Wikler's full statement on Dan Kelly here.
There are MANY reasons why Dan Kelly is WRONG for Wisconsin:
- Kelly was appointed to the Wisconsin Supreme Court by Republican Governor Scott Walker in 2016.
- Voters rejected Kelly when he ran for the Wisconsin Supreme Court in 2020, losing to Jill Karofsky.
- Kelly is a MAGA extremist supported by Donald Trump, who came to Wisconsin to campaign for Kelly in 2020.
- Kelly is anti-abortion and endorsed by organizations who support Wisconsin's 1849 abortion ban, which has effectively banned all abortions in the state-Wisconsin Right to Life, Pro-Life Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Family Action. This is not in line with the beliefs of the majority of Wisconsinites. Some of these organizations are so extreme they want the law to make no exceptions, even for the life of the mother.
- Kelly is taking money from the Leonard Leo of The Federalist Society—a dark money group that advocates for religious extremism.
- Kelly is anti-LGBTQ and wrote that the institution of marriage would eventually "be robbed of meaning" if same-sex couples were allowed to be legally married in response to United States v. Windsor–a landmark marriage equality case.
- Kelly is endorsed by the NRA for his pro-gun stance despite an epidemic of gun violence in Wisconsin and across the U.S.
- Kelly says he has no intention of addressing Wisconsin's heavily rigged political maps which have allowed Republicans to stay in control of the legislature despite losing the majority of votes.
- Kelly has prioritized corporate and large lobby interests over small businesses and taxpayers in the state.
- Kelly will continue the conservative majority on the Wisconsin Supreme Court that has existed for over 15-years, which has made decisions through a far-right political lens.
“The stakes are monstrous. There’s a confluence of factors that have come together, intentionally or not to make this a terribly important race for the future of the state.”
What's at Stake on April 4th:
The balance of the Wisconsin Supreme Court will be determined by the election on April 4th-it has been conservative for over 15 years and this seat will either keep the court conservative or tip it toward liberal.
The new court will likely rule on cases such as abortion and reproductive freedom, non-partisan voting maps, gun safety, LGBTQ rights, voting rights, environmental protection, decriminalization of marijuana, and more. These are all issues the majority of people in Wisconsin would like to see addressed but have been stymied by Republicans in the legislature who have been protected by conservatives on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
As important as all that is, the most important thing at stake on April 4th is DEMOCRACY in Wisconsin.
We must vote to protect our democracy from a conservative majority on the court that proved willing to overturn our votes to advance a political power grab. Wisconsin came one vote from having our election overturned in 2020 and Dan Kelly would add a MAGA extremist to the current court.
Protect our democracy with a vote for the PRO-DEMOCRACY candidate on April 4th
Vote Janet Protasiewicz for Wisconsin Supreme Court
You can read more about Judge Protasiewicz's qualifications, positions and endorsements here.
Here's how you can volunteer to help elect Janet Protasiewicz to the Wisconsin Supreme Court: Volunteer here
Links to information contained on this page: